Monday 22 August 2011

More Quotations

It is a man’s duty to have books… A library is not a luxury, but one of the necessaries of life.  H W Beecher

Books are the windows through which the soul looks out. H W Beecher

Except a living man there is nothing more wonderful than a book. Charles Kingsley

Give me books, fruit,
French wine and fine weather
And a little music out of doors
Played by somebody I do not know.
Keats

Few books bear second reading - comb your bookcase for salvage. Second World War government injunction.  (I hope not too many people did this!)

A good book is the best of friends, the same today and for ever,
Martin Tupper "Proverbial philosophy"


1 comment:

  1. Hello there! I found your blog on Google while looking for "Sharpe's Havoc". I haven't found many blogs which do historical fiction, so it's a pleasure. To your list of excellent quotations, may I add:

    "A room without books is like a body without a soul," attributed to Cicero.

    I also like Erasmus' "A scholar's home is with his books."

    ReplyDelete

Hello folks - your comments are always welcome.