Wednesday 9 September 2009

Review:- Anita SHREVE – “Light on snow”

Publ: 2004
My own copy
ISBN: 0 316 87733 6
Genre: General Fiction
Pages: 275p
Continuing to read Anita Shreve novels
Rating: ***** ***


What led you to pick up this book?
Continuing to read Anita Shreve novels

Describe the plot without giving anything away.
A twelve year old and her father go for a walk in the snow through the forest near their remote home and find an abandoned new born baby. The book explores the effect this unusual event has on them during the next few weeks and the reason why they live in such a remote place.

What did you think of the characters and style?

I am so impressed with Anita Shreve’s ability to get inside the heads of such a wide range of characters. Each book that I have read so far has been exceptional and her skill at drawing on the emotions is first class, as is her prose.

What did you like most about the book?
It’s credibility.

Thoughts on the book jacket / cover.
Not exceptional.

Would I recommend it?
Yes.

ANITA SHREVE see ‘Resistance

3 comments:

  1. Here is what I wrote four years ago:

    "One of the few books which I read very quickly. Another was The Weight Of
    Water, also by Shreve. I don't think she is an excellent writer, but her stories do make me want to keep turning the page. The topic of this sounded like nothing I would want to read but it was good; a father and daughter who are saddened by the death of his wife and daughter, find a newborn baby in the snow. Their lives are of course changed by the event."

    I originally picked it up because I read it described winter and snow well -and it does. It takes place in 'my' state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nan, I always seem to be behind you in my reading. A number of the authors I have discovered have been thanks to you. One day I'll find an author for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did already!! Well, a book, not an author - The Girl at the Lion D'Or! I haven't read it yet, but it is on my list. I have your whole review in a folder in my email 'books from blogs.' I have read one book by Faulks - On Green Dolphin Street.

    ReplyDelete

Hello folks - your comments are always welcome.