Sunday 15 June 2008

Mitch Albom - "Tuesdays with Morrie"



The story of Mitch's weekly visits to his former college professor, Morrie Schwartz, who was dying of ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). A moving account of an old man attempting to pass on to a young one his views on what is important in life. I have read it before about six or seven years ago but it was well worth reading again when I found it on GB's bookshelves.
There is a quote in it from Mahatma Gandhi -"Each night, when go to sleep, I die. And the next morning, when I wake up, I am reborn."

An a couple of quotes from the book itself that I found thought provoking:-

How can you ever be prepared to die?
"Do what the Buddhists do. Every day, have a little bird on your shoulder that asks, "Is today the day? Am I ready? Am I doing all I need to do? Am I being the person want to be?"


"... everyone is in such a hurry. People haven't found meaning in their lives, so they're running all the time looking for it."


MITCH ALBOM - For a mini-biography see http://bookeverysixdays.blogspot.com/2008/06/mitch-albom-five-people-you-meet-in.html

For a description of ALS - see Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello folks - your comments are always welcome.