Thursday 24 April 2008

A book every six days - or more often!

I used to wonder if my estimates of how many books I have read in my lifetime was exaggerated. I reckoned that on average since I was about 4 years old I have read two books a week (both fiction and non-fiction) which means I have read about 5,400 books - though if one takes out duplicates I suppose one could round it down to about 5,000. (In fact some like ‘Lord of the Rings’, the early Discworld ones and the Stephen Donaldson ‘Thomas Covenant’ stories have been read at least three times!) I began a blog of book reviews on 14th November 2007 and in 23 weeks I have read 47 fiction and 14 non-fiction. That's 2.65 books per week. I have more spare time than when I worked but less than when I was at school / college. I need also to take into account the fact that I spend a lot of time on the computer which prior to ten years ago would have been spent reading. I also read a lot less natural history and general non-fiction. On balance, I reckon my estimate was not too far out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello folks - your comments are always welcome.